The problem: Delivering Todays Digital World to Yesterday’s Apartments
Over 20 million households in the US are in “MDU” (Multi-Dwelling Unit) buildings. Of those 20 million units, as of 2021 only 16 percent were offered Internet by the property owner. Even more of note, if the building was constructed prior to the year 2000 the in-building wiring is likely twisted pair running g.x technology at single digit Mbps rates. Even for those that were prescient enough to install CAT 5, that only means a 1Gbps backbone. Nowhere near enough for today’s digital world.
Everyone sees the benefit in upgrading the network infrastructure of these buildings.
Expanding, upgrading and extending the network reach of these properties can:
- Add value to the property itself.
- Be able to support newer Wi-Fi APs running Wi-Fi 6 or even Wi-Fi 7 soon, with Gigabit capacities.
- Offer seamless connectivity throughout the property, not just the apartments but common areas, parking structures and more.
- Enable deployment of IoT devices for doors, HVAC, security cameras and more as IoT applications explode.
For owners and managed service providers upgrading and owning the network infrastructure opens the door to additional revenue – but at a cost that is most times not in the budget. Upgrading an entire property by laying new wire or fiber is typically done in one shot, presenting a huge bill which the increased revenue will only pay back over time. That’s a major CAPex investment that will take years to recoup.
What To Do: Go Wireless with Airvine
Until 2023 there were no options for this backbone upgrade – running new Ethernet or fiber was the only solution available. The WaveTunnel system from Airvine is now available and represents an entirely new and exciting alternative to laying out megabucks for re-wiring an entire complex.
The WaveTunnel operates in the 60GHz band supporting multi-Gigabit connections today — and 20Gbps performance tomorrow. These systems are built on breakthrough technology – shooting 60GHz beams through walls and around corners. Net result? Enabling easy deployments with a system that delivers massive data rates typical of mmWave systems and with the ability of the lower frequency systems to operate an “NLOS” (non-Line of Sight) basis. This has never been done before and this capability reduces greatly installation time and cost.
What You Get
The WaveTunnel system has been created with three simple goals: Deliver low latency multi-Gigabit connections wherever you need them, do it as simply as possible, and ensure airtight security.
When you can meet these three core objectives, the benefits are numerous:
- Upgrades can be installed in days. The average WaveTunnel node is installed with a screw driver and a Smart Phone in 15 mins or less. No highly skilled technician required.
- When you upgrade your Wi-Fi infrastructure, the same teams doing that job can also, with minimal additional time and effort, install the WaveTunnel backbone. No need to schedule two jobs (backbone install and Wi-Fi install) with all the scheduling headaches entailed. One team, one job, one time.
- Each WaveTunnel node can act as a distributed Intermediate Distribution Frame (IDF). No special room with HVAC and power for switches, routers and gateways. Each node has 4 PoE out ports for devices to connect.
- No construction, no asbestos issues, no wires. WaveTunnel nodes blast right through most interior walls.
The benefits are clear for tenants, property owners and managed service providers. How to get there has been slow, expensive and restrictive – until now. WaveTunnel by Airvine.